Our obligations under the Privacy Act
In this policy, “personal information” means information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion. This definition comes from section 6 of the Privacy Act.
Changing this policy
If we change this policy, we’ll publish those changes on this page.
What Information We Collect
When you visit our site, Carbon Positive Australia and its service providers may collect personal information that you provide, such as your name, address, email address, and payment information. “Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person.
In addition, Carbon Positive Australia and its service providers use a variety of techniques to gather other information about your use of our site, including, among other things, your IP address, browser type, mobile device type, content visited while on the site, and the duration of your visit to the site. “Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual.
How We Collect Information
Carbon Positive Australia and its services providers collect Personal Information that you provide while using the site, either directly or through other user actions, including, without limitation, any Personal Information provided or otherwise obtained while the site web pages are open. For instance, Carbon Positive Australia gathers information when you fill out forms, including, for example, e-newsletter sign-up forms and donation forms. We may also use analytics that enable us to obtain your Personal Information based on your use of the site, including, for example, your clicks on pages and page elements as well as information entered into html form fields, regardless of whether the form is submitted. We may supplement the information we collect from you with information we collect from and about you from other online and offline sources, such as public databases, social media platforms and from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected on social media platforms. For example, if you choose to connect your social media account to your site account, certain Personal Information from your social media account will be shared with us. This may include Personal Information that is part of your profile or your friends’ profiles.
Users can also block cookies or delete any existing cookies by changing settings in their browsers. See links below or search for instructions for your specific browser:
- Managing cookies in Internet Explorer
- Managing cookies in Chrome
- Managing cookies in Firefox
- Managing cookies in Safari
We may use pixel tags and other similar technologies to, among other things, track the actions of users of the site, measure the success of our marketing campaigns, and compile statistics about use of the site and response rates.
How We Use Collected Information
Carbon Positive Australia may use your Personal Information:
- To send you information about Carbon Positive Australia or Carbon Positive Australia partners.
- To personalize your interactions with Carbon Positive Australia, such as to customize your web and email content based on your interests, send you requests to participate in events in your area and otherwise target content and communications to you.
- To respond to inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to process donations, renew your membership, or send you information about a project, as well as to provide membership services.
- To send administrative information to you, such as information regarding the site and changes to tour terms, conditions, and policies.
- To allow you to participate in promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality.
- For our purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products and services, enhancing, improving or modifying the site, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, and operating and expanding our activities, some of which may be shared or used by our vendors and their technologies and tools.
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To our partners, our approved vendors, and their service providers.
- To our third party service providers and online advertising entities who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis & campaign measurement, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, and other similar services.
- By you, on message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs, and other services to which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to users of the site and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on the site.
We may also use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
How Can You Control Collection of Your Information?
- Set your web browser to inform you of when cookies are being set before a cookie is stored and refuse any request to set cookies, and do not accept cookies from Carbon Positive Australia. Erase all Carbon Positive Australia cookies.
- Do not provide your information when prompted by the site.
Please note, however, that if you choose to reject or erase cookies, your ability to navigate the site may be limited. Further, in the event you choose not to share information, Carbon Positive Australia will be unable to respond to your request for information or facilitate your actions.
If you would like to modify Personal Information you have previously provided us, please manage your profile by visiting carbonpositiveaustralia.org.au/my-account.
How Can You Stop Receiving Communications from Carbon Positive Australia?
If you would like to opt out of receiving content from Carbon Positive Australia, you can:
- Take the opportunity to opt out in links on the bottom of marketing email Carbon Positive Australia sends to you.
- Contact us at 1300 857 970 or at this page to tell us you do not want to receive communications from Carbon Positive Australia.
We take steps to protect the personal information we hold about you against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse. There are inherent risks in transmitting information across the internet and we do not have the ability to control the security of information collected and stored on third-party platforms. In relation to our own servers, we take all reasonable steps to manage data stored on our servers to ensure data security. Where Carbon Positive Australia contracts with a third-party provider, we try to ensure that the provider takes all reasonable steps to manage data stored on their servers to ensure data security. You are responsible for selecting any password and its overall security strength, ensuring the security of your own information within the bounds of our services. We take reasonable measures to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information when it is no longer required.
Carbon Positive Australia does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. The site is not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that Carbon Positive Australia learns that it has collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have collected any personal information from a child under 13, please contact us.
Your Rights and Controlling Your Personal Information
Subject to certain conditions, You have the following rights:
- Right to Access: You have the right to request copies of your personal data from us. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- Right to Rectification: You have the right to request us to correct information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request that we complete information that you believe is incomplete.
- Right to Erasure: You may have a right to request that we delete the personal information we hold about you at any time, and we will take reasonable steps to delete your personal information from our current records. If you ask us to delete your personal information, we will let you know how the deletion affects your use of the site or products and services. There may be exceptions to this right for specific legal reasons which, if applicable, we will set out for you in response to your request.
- Restrict: You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information if (i) you are concerned about the accuracy of your personal information; (ii) you believe your personal information has been unlawfully processed; (iii) you need us to maintain the personal information solely for the purpose of a legal claim; or (iv) we are in the process of considering your objection in relation to processing on the basis of legitimate interests.
- Objecting to processing: You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information that is based on our legitimate interests or public interest. If this is done, we must provide compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which overrides your interests, rights, and freedoms, in order to proceed with the processing of your personal information.
- Data portability: You have the right to request a copy of the personal information you have provided to us to be provided to you and/or another data controller, and that the format of such information be in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.
To exercise any of these rights please Contact Us.