KORENG NOONGAR COUNTRY
- Region: Great Southern, WA
- Planted: 2020
- Size: 10 hectares
- Seedlings Count: 23,288 (hand-planted)
- Supported By: National Landcare Program: Smart Farms Small Grants
- Partner: Threshold Environmental
- Species: Acacia, Atriplex, Casuarina, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca
The Borden region is largely affected by salt and erosion caused by native vegetation clearing and stock grazing over many generations. This particular site is part of a working farm focused on grazing. Rising water tables and high salinity have left some of the land unusable.
We are working with Threshold Environmental to test how well a variety of native trees grow in areas of differing salinity and how well they sequester carbon. Our hope is that the results will demonstrate how low productivity saline land can be transformed into productive, high-functioning land.