Understanding Carbon Farming
CarbonCare™ seeks to boost community understanding of carbon farming, with particular regard to biodiverse native planting. CarbonCare is a Carbon Positive Australia project supported by Lotterywest.
The learning and benefits from this project have been shared with stakeholders and their inputs sought. This will enable the project to support greater social innovation, promoting new ways of solving long-term environmental challenges.
Australia has vast potential for carbon farming, part of which is the revegetation and reforestation of degraded or unproductive farmland to sequester carbon. To increase participation, the aim of the project is to:
- Profile farmers and landholders who have undertaken carbon farming
- Identify the levers required to increase uptake by broadacre farmers and landholders thoughout Western Australia but particularly in the Wheatbelt
- Explore the motives for carbon neutrality by buyers of carbon credits, particularly organisations and businesses
- Quantify the environmental and socioeconomic impacts and values
- Provide educational resources for landholders and the broader community on the benefits of carbon farming